SwiftKey supports some accessibility features including a high contrast keyboard theme, and VoiceOver optimization. Please note that for optimal experience we advise running iOS 9 or a later version.
High Contrast Theme
SwiftKey provides a high contrast theme that meets WCAG 2.0 AAA color contrast requirements. This is a free theme, and there is no need to download it. However, you will need to actively select it to set as your keyboard theme. To set it up please follow the steps below.
- Navigate to your devices' 'Settings' menu.
- Tap 'General', 'Accessibility', 'Increase contrast'. Ensure the 'Darken Colors' mode is enabled
- Open the SwiftKey app
- Tap 'Design'
- Scroll down until you find the 'High Contrast' theme. Tap on it to set as your keyboard theme.
Additional Information for VoiceOver users
In addition to the high contrast theme, we have implemented a range of new features to help make SwiftKey more accessible for users of VoiceOver. These become activated if VoiceOver is enabled on your device in the accessibility settings menu. When VoiceOver is enabled, there are a few things to note:
- SwiftKey Flow (swipe gestures) input method is not fully supported but can be activated by double tapping, holding and then flowing.
- If you have enabled more than one language that use different language layouts in SwiftKey, then enabling VoiceOver will change the way you switch between them from the keyboard. To switch layouts with VoiceOver enabled, double tap the spacebar and drag up or down to select.
- To insert accented or secondary characters, you will need to double tap and hold a key and then drag left or right to select your desired alternative character. You can use the punctuation slider (accessible from the period key) in the same way.
- To switch between different keyboards using the keyboard switcher key, you will need to double tap, hold and drag up or down.
- To choose between different diacritics in Arabic or Farsi, you will need to double tap, hold and select your desired diacritic by dragging left/right to navigate within a row and up/down to navigate between different rows.